Lactation Consultants: Meet Our Team
Our team of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants offer one-on-one consultations for new mothers seeking breastfeeding support. They offer gentle, 'hands-on' advice for all breastfeeding problems including: latch-on difficulties, inadequate infant weight gain, sore and inverted nipples, severe engorgement, low milk supply and nipple confusion. Consultants can also be helpful when families are working with premature babies, adopted babies, and babies with special needs.
The Pump Station consultants have more clinical expertise than many others in the community based on our years as nurses in the maternal child health field. We do have a lot of experience with:
- Pre-term babies
- Status post NICU babies
- Mothers at high risk for lactation problems
The majority of our consultants have over 25 years experience and are master's prepared registered nurses. Hospital and home visits may be arranged.
Producing breast milk is natural, the art of latching a baby to the breast is learned. Sometimes what is supposed to come easily doesn't, and sometimes a breastfeeding problem occurs after discharge from the hospital. Lactation Consultants are professional health workers who are trained to help mothers manage lactation and reach their breastfeeding goals. They work in hospitals, doctors offices and in private practice within the community. Limited phone services are free; home visits and office consultations involve a fee.
To make an appointment for an individual lactation consultation please call the store most convenient to you (see chart below)
The Pump Station|
2415 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90403
The Pump Station|
1248 Vine St.
Hollywood, CA 90038
You need help if:
- You are concerned about low milk supply
- You feel your baby is not getting enough milk
- Your baby cries all the time
- Your baby sleeps all the time
- You have sore, cracked nipples
- You dread nursing because your nipples hurt the entire time
- The filling of your breasts (engorgement) does not occur by the 5th day after birth
- You are severely engorged
- Your baby does not latch onto your breast
- Your baby does not have 3 or more yellow, runny stools by day six
- Your baby has not regained birth weight at 2 weeks
- You have any other breastfeeding concerns